Monday, February 7, 2011

iPad in Math-Special Education

Last Friday, the Special Education Math class came into visit to use the iPads. We were just doing drill and practice using the Flash to Pass Free App. On this app you can choose between; addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. You can then choose your level of difficulty (1-6). Another cool thing, we did not do this, is instead of a level, you can choose a number that you want to focus on and all the problems you are given have that number in it.

You get 50 problems and it times you. We all started on addition level 1 (I joined in the fun!). The best time was awarded a Jolly Rancher. We then went again to try to improve. Then moved on to other levels and operations.

The kids really got into the competition of it, and improving their scores. They would yell out when they finished, I got better by like 30 seconds!

After seeing the enthusiasm, the teacher and I have decided to make this a weekly event, every Friday 7th hour.

We will meet, and go through some together as a challenge and then have them do some on their own. We are also planning on graphing their average times as a class each week on a big chart to study and look at improvement.

I also downloaded a few more math practice apps for them to use after they finish with flash to pass (15 minutes is about as long as anyone wants to play it).

I am looking forward to doing this with them every Friday, I already have kids from the class telling me they are going to beat me this week, and so on.

I will let you know how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment