Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Grant

A few months ago, I got together with my English Department and Principal and discussed the use of iPads in the classroom. Everyone involved in the discussion was really excited about the opportunities these new gadgets would provide for our students learning experiences. So came the grant. I took on the writing of the grant, written from the perspective of whole school use ( in all subject areas).
The grant was through our local educational foundation, so there was a monetary limit we could recieve which was $5,000. We decided to go ahead and ask for 10 to test them out, if they were successful we would look to building funds to add to them.
As I was writing the grant, I conducted a lot of research in how other schools were using iPads in the classroom, but most of all, looking through the educational apps that were offered. I was amazed at the number of apps that would be useful and exciting for students to use (and a number of these were even free!)
About a week before the grants were going to be announced, I was asked to meet with the foundation board to demonstrate some of the specific apps we would be using and to explain more thoroughly how we were going to use the iPads. I saw this as a good sign, that they were definitely considering funding the grant.
During this meeting/presentation to the board I used an iPad that was owned by one of the board members and showed some some of the apps that I had researched when writing the grant. I also just explained that we wanted the iPads to enrich what we were already doing, as a way to keep the students engaged in learning.
That Friday the foundation committee came to the Freshman Center out in front of the students in the commons, and presented us with the grant we had requested. They then preceeded to tell us they went ahead and funded another 10 iPads for our building. The Superintendant then stepped in and said that the district had decided to complete our set and provide 10 more iPads, a cart, and an iBook to sync them with!
This is where it all begins, that was the day before Thanksgiving break. Our iPads are in and being finalized at the tech office, and we should have them in our building by January 10th. I don't know who is more excited the kids, teachers, or myself. Everyday since the grant was awarded someone (mostly students) would ask, are we really getting iPads, that is so cool.
I have set up this blog to share with you our triumphs and tribulations while integrating the iPads into our daily curriculum here at the Belton High School Freshman Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment